Postdoctoral Appointee - Hydrology/Machine Learning
Job posting number: #7208801 (Ref:417105)
Posted: January 19, 2024
Argonne National Laboratory, a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory located near Chicago, Illinois, has an opening for a Postdoctoral Appointee at the Environmental Science Division.
The Postdoctoral Appointee will be working toward advancing the state-of-the art in developing AI/ML models for addressing hydrological predictions for stream flow rates and pooling depths at local scales. You can expect to collaborate with a group of scientists developing models for climate scale simulations of inland hydrology on projects for Argonne’s Center for Climate Resilience and Decision Science (CCRDS). These models will be developed to scale on leading high performance computing platforms at ALCF (https://www.alcf.anl.gov) and other Department of Energy computational platforms and conducting analysis of the simulation output for effects of climate change.
This is a two-year position that we want to fill immediately.
- Recent PhD (typically completed in 0-3 years) in geophysical science or a related field.
- Expertise in developing and working with hydrological models.
- Understanding of process scale models of atmospheric phenomena experience in using WRF-HydroR.
- Technical knowledge of atmospheric and hydrological models, numerical modeling, data sets, and data analysis.
- Knowledge of atmospheric observational datasets, data assimilation techniques and statistics.
- Experience using HPC systems for machine learning/AI model development development using Pytorch, Tesnor Flow or similar platforms.
- Utilization of high-performance computational platforms.
- Writing and modifying scientific code in Fortran/C++ or Python.
- Expertise and interest in data analysis and visualization.
- Familiarity with the use of GPU based systems for computing.
- Effective, clear, and concise writing of technical papers and in interacting and communicating effectively with colleagues.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- Effective organizational skills and flexibility in coordinating a broad spectrum of activities.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.