Postdoctoral Associate - Research and Development
Job posting number: #7190532 (Ref:416752)
Posted: November 2, 2023
The Applied Materials Division is seeking a recently graduated individual for a postdoctoral appointment to conduct research in materials science and electrochemistry related to next generation materials. The selected candidate will work with and under supervision of the lead PI on developing experimental methods and techniques to synthesize and characterize materials for electrochemical energy storage with focus on lithium and sodium-ion cathodes. The candidate needs to be familiar with electrochemical testing and evaluating of these materials.
- A doctorate degree in materials science or related chemistry science with 0 to 3 years of post-graduate experience.
- Knowledge in the areas of materials for electrochemical energy storage including hands-on, practical laboratory experience with material synthesis, processing, and analytical methods.
- Hands-on experience with materials characterization techniques like XRD/ refinement, XAS, SEM-EDX, TGA/DSC, ICP, BET, PSA.
- Knowledgeable in electrochemical performance analysis using battery cycler.
- Ability to communicate effectively and on a timely basis with the supervisory personnel on all developments or matters resulting from work activities.
- Be up to date with current state of the art in the relevant area and provide novel solutions to materials research including cathodes with various chemistries, electrolyte stability, and electrochemical interfaces.
- Skilled in oral, writing and communication skills with a record of publications and external recognition in relevant areas.
- DoE, continuous/batch co-precipitation reactions, molten-salt synthesis, solid state synthesis, hydrothermal synthesis, thermal stability of cell components.
- Ability to work with large laboratory equipment or experience in kilo-scale synthesis, electrochemistry, and Li- and Na-ion battery chemistry.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.