Postdoctoral Appointee - NST - Center for Nanoscale Materials
Job posting number: #7176253 (Ref:416474)
Posted: September 6, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Center for Nanoscale Materials (https://www.anl.gov/cnm) at Argonne National Laboratory (Chicago, US) has an immediate opening for a Postdoctoral Appointee in the use of computational modeling and machine learning to interpret experimental x-ray, electron, and scanning probe characterization data, especially for energy materials. The postdoctoral researchers will work within the group of Dr Maria Chan (https://www.anl.gov/profile/maria-k-chan) on developing and applying algorithms and software for the use of first principles and atomistic modeling, together with machine learning, to accelerate the inversion of experimental characterization data, especially x-ray spectroscopies.
- Recently received or near completion of their Ph.D. in Nanoscience or related discipline within the last 3 years.
- Density functional theory modeling of materials, e.g. high throughput calculations, structure prediction, classical and ab initio MD simulations
- Simulation of experimental characterization signals, e.g. x-ray spectroscopy, electron microscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and neutron scattering
- Use of machine learning approaches
- Development and implementation of algorithms and software for materials modeling
- High-performance and parallel computing
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and in an interdisciplinary collaborative environment, in close collaboration with experimentalists.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.