Postdoctoral Associate - Medicine(#135)
Job posting number: #7175558 (Ref:pt100135)
Posted: September 1, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Chiu Lab focuses on the development of state-of-the-art machine and deep learning models that integrate multi-modal genomic and pharmacogenomic data to study cancer biology and improve cancer therapy. Our latest works are well-recognized by broad cancer and bioinformatics communities, which include publications in Science Advances (selected by @NCIgenomics as the #1 paper), Bioinformatics Advances, Briefings in Bioinformatics, and BMC Medical Genomics (selected as Springer Nature Highlight in Genetics), as well as frequent presentations in the AACR, ISMB, and GLBIO conferences. Please visit our lab website www.chiu-lab.org/ for more information.
Qualifications or Expectations:
- Experience in deep learning, machine learning, single-cell and spatial omics, natural language processing, large language models, and/or image processing is strongly desired.
- Highly motivated scientists who have recently earned a Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, electrical/computer/biomedical engineering, computer science, or a related field.
- Must be proficient with Linux and multiple bioinformatics programming languages, such as Python, R, MATLAB, and Perl.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Strong experience in computational modeling of biological systems, large-scale cancer multi-omic datasets (TCGA, HTAN, TARGET, CCLE, etc.), high-throughput drug and genetic screens (DepMap, PRISM, GDSC, etc.), and common bioinformatics resources (NCBI, UCSC, Ensembl, etc.) is essential.
- Candidates will receive dedicated mentorship on career development planning, career development awards, and postdoctoral fellowships such as the Hillman Postdoctoral Fellowships for Innovative Cancer Research (https://hillmanresearch.upmc.edu/research/hillman-fellows/postdoctoral/).
- Our lab members have cross-disciplinary experience spanning across engineering, informatics, biology, and medicine.
- The PI has successful experience in acquiring the prestigious NIH/NCI K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award and postdoctoral fellowships, as well as mentoring F99/K00 predoc to postdoc transition award application.
Duties or Responsibilities:
- Conduct postdoctoral research to systematically understand the biology of adult and pediatric cancers, to identify diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers, and to improve cancer therapy. Potential research topics include deep learning applications to 1) spatial single cell profiles, 2) literature data using large language models (LLMs), and 3) multi-modal genomics and pharmacogenomics data.
For more info about this position, visit:https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external_pd/jobdetail.ftl?job=22005468
Application Instructions:Visit join.pitt.edu and View Requisition Number #22005468 to apply. Please submit curriculum vitae, one-page research statement, and contact information of three references. Review of applications will start immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.