Natural Language Processing / Machine Learning in Healthcare Postdoctoral Fellow
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
Job posting number: #7143933 (Ref:60688)
Posted: May 5, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionMoffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute is proud to be Florida’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center located in Tampa. We strive to be the leader in understanding the complexity of cancer through team science and applying those insights for human benefits. Every Team Member of Moffitt focuses on our lasting commitment to our mission: To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer.
Dr. Thanh Thieu seeks to find a Postdoc Fellow to join the Language and Intelligence Laboratory (LAILab) at the Machine Learning Department at Moffitt. LAILab is a multidisciplinary research group that translates advances in natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) to solve low-resourced language understanding, language generation, and predictive medicine tasks in oncology and healthcare informatics. Our work involves 1) identification and standardization of functional status information in clinical notes of adult and senior cancer patients; 2) information extraction and knowledge graph construction from clinical notes to assist cancer reristry and evidence-based predictive modeling; 3) linking aging, comorbidities, and drugs to prostate cancer relapse and survival; 4) predicting unplanned hospital readmission in the adult patients with gastrointestinal cancers initiating surgery; and other interdisciplinary projects as we expand our internal and external collobation networks. To accomplish multidimensional and multidisciplinary goals, we transfer and customize cutting edge methodologies in NLP and ML such as large language modeling, in-context inference, data augmentation, domain adaptation, etc. Our daily activities includes ultilization of fore-front deep neural network ecosystem and architectures on our Nvidia DGX server.
Link to our lab page: https://lab.moffitt.org/THIEU/
• This position will bring impact beyond scholastic publication to the bed side in a hospital setting with real patients and real stories.
• The successful candidate will immerse in a vibrant and interactive work environment comprised of quantitative science researchers and faculty that foster innovation and professional growth.
• Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
• Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
• You will be encouraged and supported to apply for training grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
• High motivation and desire to be part of multidisciplinary group, good work ethic.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
• Documented experience with NLP and ML concepts, tools, and applications.
• High proficiency with the deep learning and machine learning ecosystem including Python, Pytorch, Tensorflow, Keras, etc.
• Deep knowledge of contemporary NLP architectures such as BERT, Transformers, LSTM, RNN, CRF, etc.
• Some understanding about cancer biology.
• Experience with extraction, handling, and processing of large data sets.
• Data preparation, organization, and analysis.
• Development of new and tuning of existing NLP and ML models.
• Presentation of data and results in a clear and concise manner.
• Active participation in the group meetings and meetings with the collaboratoring teams.
• Ability to join team work as well as work independently.
• Supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
• Preparation of grant applications, publications, and presentations.
• Meet project goals.
Credentials and Qualifications:
• Ph.D. (or soon to be Ph.D.) degree in Computer Science or related fields.
• Research experience in NLP and ML, preferably with application in healthcare and biomedicine.
• Should have at least one first Author publication.
You will be eligible for benefits offered to our Team Members – Moffitt Postdocs are provided free employee-only Medical and eligible for Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave, and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city with unique cultural attractions, low cost of living and a high quality of life. We strive for work/life balance.
Send CV and inquiry to Dr. Thieu at [email protected]
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. Moffitt seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.