Postdoctoral Appointee - Modeling and Analysis of Aerosol-Cloud Interactions
Argonne National Laboratory
Job posting number: #7139147 (Ref:415574)
Posted: April 11, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Earth System Science and Climate Research (ESSCR) Department at the Argonne National Laboratory, Environmental Science Division is seeking a postdoctoral scholar to evaluate and improve aerosol-cloud interactions (ACI) in Earth system models with the use of observational constraints from satellite.
The successful applicant will lead the development, computation, and evaluation of aerosol and ACI metrics in the DOE Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM) using novel observational constraints that combine vertically resolved aerosol extinction coefficients and cloud and precipitation retrievals from CloudSat and CALIPSO. Anticipated responsibilities include performing E3SM simulations at high resolutions, analyzing model results and satellite datasets, incorporating on-going model development, developing aerosol and ACI diagnostic packages, and publishing research results.
The project will be conducted in close collaboration with scientists in NASA’s Langley Research Center. The successful applicant will also join an interdisciplinary team of global and regional climate modelers, atmospheric scientists, instrumentalists, and terrestrial ecologists at ESSCR and have a chance to perform collaborative research in other topics related to Earth system sciences
This appointment is for two years, renewable for up to three years pending satisfactory performance and continued funding. The expected start date for the position is July 3rd, 2023. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Required skills and experience:
- Ph.D. (typically completed within 0-3 yeas) in Atmospheric Science, Climate Science, or other climate-related science.
- Significant level of expertise in any of the following: aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions, aerosol and cloud microphysics, marine boundary layer cloud processes, mesoscale meteorology, Earth system modeling and evaluation, and satellite data analysis.
- Experience with climate or atmospheric model code development and evaluation, and interpreting results from numerical models.
- Experience with model simulations and data analysis on high performance computing platforms.
- Strong quantitative and programming skills (e.g., Python, Fortran, or others).
- Knowledge on data analytics and statistical methods.
- Demonstrated strong scientific writing skills and oral communication.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team member, be creative and innovative, and multitask.
- Ability to model Argonne's Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
Preferred skills and experience:
- Experience with the use and analysis of satellite remote sensing products, e.g., CALIPSO, MODIS, and CloudSat.
- Experience with the use and analysis of ARM aerosol and cloud observations.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.