University of Illinois College College of Medicine
Job posting number: #7135900 (Ref:1017327)
Posted: March 23, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: 40K
Application Deadline: June 13, 2023
Job DescriptionThe University of Illinois College of Medicine has a Research Specialist position open for NIH-funded projects studying the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and developing new therapeutic means for AD. These projects investigate the role of the immune system in the development of AD and establish the logical basis for novel therapy using transgenic/knockout mouse models of AD. The candidates will also be involved in other projects in the laboratory, focusing on basic science and neuroimmunology. The successful candidates will have education and/or experience in two or more of the following areas: molecular biology, neuroscience, immunology, genetics, mouse and neural cell culture model systems, mouse behavior, immunohistochemistry, and viral vectors, and will be able to handle and care mouse models of human diseases.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be able to follow, refine, and improve the experimental procedures required for completion of the assigned experiments and aims.
• Follow the responsible conduct of research. Conduct research experiments honestly and with great attention to details, and follow established schedule and lab procedures.
• Ensure compliance with regulations and make records of observations and scientific measurement.
• Perform complex data collection and laboratory techniques, evaluation and analysis requiring use of independent judgment.
• Maintain accurate experimental records including all the reagents and chemicals, and protocols being used, and provide general lab support as needed.
• Propagate, maintain, analyze, and trouble-shoot mouse models of human diseases.
• Formulate and conduct scientific experiments and analyses. Performs complex data collection and laboratory techniques. Analyze and evaluate test and research results.
• Replicate, refine and add new research approaches based on project needs. Test, customize and implement new methods, procedures and techniques.
• Develop and write advanced, comprehensive experimental protocols.
Monitor project developments on an ongoing basis. Propose and implement changes as needed.
• Collaborate with Principle Investigator and researchers to develop objectives and design of research projects and proposals.
• Assist principal investigator in grant and manuscript submission.
• Assist the Principal Investigator, project collaborators, and other lab personnel with research and educational activities to advise students on methods and procedures.
Cooperate with researchers to conduct the assigned experiments.
• Contribute material, prepare results and assist in the writing of research findings for publications, papers, presentations, grants, and other documents for publication.
• Guide, train and advise lower level researchers and students on techniques, methods and procedures.
• Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
• BA/BS in science or related field.
• A minimum of three years related research experience.
• Possesses and applies comprehensive knowledge of research principles, concepts, practices and methods.
• Proficient in specific research techniques
• Master’s degree in science preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in neuroscience, molecular and cellular biology or related biomedical fields.
• Ability to handle and care for laboratory mice.
• Experience and knowledge in handling, maintaining and analyzing transgenic and/or knockout mouse models of human diseases.
• Willingness to work together cooperatively and facilitate collaborative research projects.
For fullest consideration please submit your application by 4/10/2023 at:
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters at: https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/one.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=5705 to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
The university provides accommodations to applicants and employees. Request an Accommodation at: https://jobs.uic.edu/request-and-accomodation.