Postdoctoral Scientist - Ghiam Lab - Regenerative Medicine Eye Program
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7118250 (Ref: HRC0953545B)
Posted: December 14, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Cedars-Sinai Regenerative Medicine Institute is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join Dr. Ghiam's laboratory!
Under the direction of Mehrnoosh Saghizadeh Ghiam, PhD, associate professor of Biomedical Sciences at the Cedars-Sinai Board of Governors Regenerative Medicine Institute Eye Program, the Saghizadeh Ghiam Laboratory is focused on identifying specific molecular corneal defects associated with corneal pathological conditions, such as diabetes. The goal of the Saghizadeh Ghiam Lab is to understand the roles of microRNAs in both the differentiated epithelial and stem cells of normal and diabetic corneas as well as their roles in driving peripheral activation of limbal stem cells in normal and diseased corneas. To learn more, please visit: Saghizadeh Ghiam Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai (cedars-sinai.edu)
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The candidate will be assigned to a funded project investigating the mechanism of microRNAs in limbal epithelial stem cells in rescuing vision in human organ-cultured corneas for diseased corneas such diabetic and limbal stem cell deficiency. The work will involve the use of stem cells, tissue and organ-cultured cornea, transfection, luciferase assays, QPCR, histological and molecular analysis of samples with the overall goal of translation of the approach to the clinic. In order to conduct this research the incumbent should have a primary interest in regenerative medicine, experience in the fields of visual neuroscience and/or gene therapy research, technical aptitude in molecular biology, protein analysis, microscopy and histology. Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and a Project Scientist, the Postdoc will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout their training period. The incumbent may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols and will analyze and interpret data.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the P.I.
- Participation in laboratory meetings, keeping a lab notebook, performing calculations, tabulating data, summarizing methods and results of related experiments and general lab maintenance will be required.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
Experience and Skills:
- Highly motivated and works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Ability to function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians and students.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Scheduling flexibility including evening, weekend and holiday rotation commitment. Travel may be required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Ghiam Lab - Regenerative Medicine Eye Program
Department: Regenerative Medicine Inst
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research,Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.