Job posting number: #7116964 (Ref:414503)
Posted: November 29, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Argonne Fire Department is hiring a Dispatcher/Dayshift Firefighter to perform a wide variety of tasks. The primary responsibility will include dispatching all Argonne fire department emergency and non-emergency calls. Additionally, this position may have the occasion to act in the role of Firefighter/Paramedic assigned to a battalion. While doing so additional responsibilities might include structure fire suppression, hazardous material response, rescue, emergency medical care, vehicle extrication, and wildland fire suppression. Candidates may be required to complete written and/or oral tests with satisfactory levels of achievement.
Dispatcher/Dayshift Firefighters will need to:
- Determine response requirements and relative priorities of situations, and dispatch units in accordance with established procedures.
- Work autonomously within established procedures to receive, evaluate, and transmit emergency and non-emergency calls to appropriate on-site responders
- Perform other related dispatcher tasks as assigned
- Occasionally respond to fire alarms, hazardous material and medical emergencies, and other calls to protect life and property
- Participate in site fire prevention and training
- Maintain the fire station and firefighting equipment
- Be committed to working well with a diverse group of coworkers and community members
- Support the Environment, Safety, Health and Quality (ESH&Q) in the development and implementation of strategic plans, policies, and operational responsibilities
- This position is a Monday through Friday 40-hour a week position that may include holidays
- Position is located in Lemont, IL
- Immediate opening
- Union/hourly paid position
- Experience as firefighter is required
- Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of modern firefighting and emergency rescue is required
- Must possess a valid driver`s license, class B is preferred
- Ability to pass medical examination requirements
- Ability to read, comprehend and respond to written and verbal technical directives
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work under extremely stressful and sometimes dangerous conditions.
- Ability to work weekend and shift work
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Licensed as a paramedic by IDPH or national registry EMT-P and has the ability to be accepted into Loyola EMS System
- Certified as Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter by the Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Ability to model Argonne's core values: impact, respect, safety, integrity and teamwork.
- Experience as a police/fire dispatcher
- Experience with computer aided-dispatch (CAD) systems
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certification
Job ProfileDispatcher/Day Shift Firefighter
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.