Job posting number: #7116963 (Ref:414502)
Posted: November 29, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Argonne Fire Department is hiring a Firefighter/Paramedic or Firefighter/EMT to perform a wide variety of tasks. Primary responsibilities might include structure fire suppression, hazardous material response, rescue, emergency medical care, vehicle extrication, and wildland fire suppression. You will be required to work under extremely stressful and sometimes dangerous conditions. Strong ability to listen, take direction and follow through. Routine duties include, but are not limited to: dispatching, cleaning of quarters and class participation. Candidates may be required to complete written and/or oral tests with satisfactory levels of achievement.
Firefighter/Paramedics - Firefighter/EMTs will need to:
- Respond to fire alarms, hazardous material and medical emergencies, and other calls to protect life and property
- Participate in site fire prevention and training activities
- Maintain the fire station and firefighting equipment
- Be committed to working well with a diverse group of coworkers and community members
- Support the Environment, Safety, and Health (ESH) directorate in the development and implementation of strategic plans, policies, and operational responsibilities
- This position will work a shift consisting of 24-hours on duty and 48-hours off duty
- Position is located on-site at the Argonne campus in Lemont, IL
- Union/hourly paid position
Required skills and qualifications:
- Must be 21 (per ILCS 5/10-2.1-6.3 regulations) years old and in good physical condition
- Must possess a valid driver`s license
- Ability to pass medical examination requirements
- Must be able to read, comprehend and respond to written and verbal technical directives.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work under extremely stressful and sometimes dangerous conditions.
- Ability to work weekend and shift work
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Ability to model Argonne's core values: impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Certified as Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter by the Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Licensed as a Paramedic, Emergency Medical Technician or Emergency Medical Dispatcher by IDPH and has the ability to be accepted into the department’s EMS System
- Experience as a Fire, EMS, or Law Enforcement Dispatcher
- Experience with computer aided-dispatch (CAD) systems
- Possess a valid Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) identification card with ladder climb
Job ProfileDispatcher/Day Shift Firefighter
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.