Deputy Fire Chief
Job posting number: #7116961 (Ref:414499)
Posted: November 29, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Argonne Fire Department is seeking a Deputy Fire Chief to be responsible for assisting the Fire Chief in planning and administering the day-to-day operation of the Fire Department. Under the direction of the Fire Chief, the Deputy Chief may serve in multiple command and program administrator roles and may act as the Fire Chief during his or her absence. Along with being a central figure in supporting the Fire Chief and managing change in a positive manner.
This role is responsible for:
- Effective supervision, management, and coordination of emergency scene operations; oversees emergency response, and a variety of other assigned duties associated with fire and rescue.
- Ensures prompt provision of emergency medical care to ill or injured persons, provides mentoring, and assists employees with professional development.
- Assesses the incident scene, develops a plan of action and identifies appropriate strategies and tactics; determines the need for additional equipment or staffing; ensures security and integrity of emergency scene; ensures utilization of Incident Management System; supervises and assists in the reception and transmission of required information by monitoring radio traffic; creates plans of potential target hazards or special operations for pre-incident purposes.
- Effective administration of training, fire prevention and dispatch functions, prioritizing and assigning work, performance management, employee relations, and other related activities as assigned.
- Overseeing the daily operations; implements, interprets, and ensures compliance of rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; establishes goals and objectives; develops and implements programs; oversees and monitors apparatus and equipment to ensure operational readiness; schedules and coordinates the maintenance of apparatus; responsible for overall management of fire station building(s) and work orders.
- Reports directly to the Fire Chief.
- This is a 40 hour per week position, on-site at the Argonne campus in Lemont, IL
- Skills in human relations, personnel management, and labor relations
- Basic knowledge of budgeting
- Report writing and computer skills
- Demonstrated skills in managing people
- Considerable knowledge in analyzing situations and making quick, accurate decisions
- Considerable skills in delegating responsibility and authority
- Public speaking abilities
- Demonstrated skills in setting and achieving goals
- Must be able to meet the medical requirements established by the Department of Energy for the position
- Must be able to obtain and maintain all HSPD-12 badging requirements
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Must be a Certified or Provisional Fire Officer II or Advanced Fire Officer as established by the Illinois State Fire Marshal`s Office or applicable equivalent at the time of application; and possess NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 and 800 certificates.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials and specialty emergency response, Incident Command System, training program development and management, and medical emergencies.
- Demonstrated progressive fire service responsibility.
- A strong background in fire prevention and experience in the administration of a comprehensive fire prevention and public education program.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileFire Protection/ Prevention Supervisor
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.