Postdoctoral Appointee - X-ray characterization of polymer upcycling/industrial catalysts
Job posting number: #7116413 (Ref:414398)
Posted: November 18, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The X-ray Science Division of Argonne National Laboratory is seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to conduct fundamental and applied research on heterogeneous catalyst with synchrotron-based measurements.
Studies on morphological and electronic structure of catalysts are crucial to understand the function of the catalysts. This project is to use x-ray spectroscopy and scattering technique to understand the performance and mechanism of polymer upcycling catalysts and other heterogenous catalysts. A particular interest is the Pt catalysts embedded in mesoporous silica that has been developed by the iCOUP EFRC center. In this system, interaction of the catalysts with polymers may vary under different reaction conditions and leads to the different product distributions. We would like to study this catalysts in situ with synchrotron based x-ray scattering and spectroscopy techniques.
The postdoctoral appointee will be responsible for:
- Mainly X-ray absorption study of new catalysts for polymer upcycling and other industrial catalysts.
- Small-angle/wide-angle X-ray scattering (SAXS/WAXS) and transmission electron microscopy to characterize catalyst composition and morphology.
- The development of new experimental strategies, including operando/in-situ sample cells and sample environments.
- The preparation of manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals and reports on conferences.
- Working independently and as part of a team, developing experimental plans, performing experiments, and analyzing data
- Background in structural analysis using XAS method. Knowledge on small-angle/wide-angle X-ray scattering and XRD are a plus.
- Strong experimental skills are necessary for synchrotron measurements and hands-on experience in a laboratory environment.
- Specific expertise in one or more of the following: operando/in-situ characterization, inorganic chemistry, and solution chemistry.
- Solid background of heterogenous catalyst, able to conduct the catalytic experiment.
- Considerable experience on material synthesis and characterization, which may include Raman, FT-IR, SEM, TEM, et. al.
- Demonstrated strong motivation toward innovative basic and applied research.
- Good communication and teamwork spirit.
- Rich experience in proposing, planning, designing, and implementing experiments.
- This position requires a Ph.D. degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related field and 0 to 3 years of experience/equivalent
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.