Technical Scientist at Argonne Quantum Foundry
Job posting number: #7116245 (Ref:414425)
Posted: November 15, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The newly established Q-NEXT quantum center at Argonne National Lab (ANL) is looking for candidates to fill a technical staff position to help support the Argonne Quantum Foundry – a state-of-the-art materials synthesis and fabrication facility for quantum information science (QIS). A successful candidate will be part of a dynamic team working with a group of scientists from Argonne, University of Chicago, and throughout the Q-NEXT partnership (academic, industry, and national labs), using their skills to aide in tool installation and operation, technical and integrated systems development, process optimization, and database management to support a wide range of quantum information research endeavors. The candidate will also be expected to work with and train students, technologists, and other personnel on a variety of tasks in support of the broader Q-NEXT Argonne Quantum Foundry mission. Additionally, the candidate will be encouraged to pursue their own technical directions including process development, automation, and interfacing to progress the scientific missions within the Q-NEXT center. This position is amenable to evolve into a more research focused position as the nature of the candidate’s responsibilities evolve with the foundry’s needs.
- Support the design, installation, operation, maintenance, and optimization of lab-critical infrastructure.
- Help develop novel and optimize existing synthesis, fabrication, and characterization processes for QIS materials.
- Contribute to the ongoing efforts to provide a safe and inclusive work environment for all. This will include involvement in the ongoing workforce development initiatives, including mentorship opportunities.
- Collaborate with other scientists within Q-NEXT and more broadly with scientists at Argonne, including graduate and post-doctoral students from institutions within Q-NEXT and various other research groups involved.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the technological tools as well as maintain developments in the field and related processes that can be used to contribute to the technological success of ongoing Q-NEXT projects.
- Participate in maintaining technical reports and other documents associated with the operation of lab equipment, along with reports on experimental progress, technical developments, and new initiatives.
- Knowledge and experience of laboratory technical facilities, building infrastructure, and scientific/technical tool maintenance.
- Design skills with experience designing gas manifolds, vacuum systems, cooling water systems, cryogenic sample mounting, electronics / circuits, and device integration and hookup.
- Experience with integrated code sets for experimental optoelectronic hardware integration and optimization.
- Knowledge and experience of vacuum (UHV) systems, gas handling, exhausts / vents, and electrical.
- Demonstrated skill in written and oral communication.
- Experience collaborating with others and the ability to work with a team in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Experience with material synthesis (growth) tools, nano-fabrication (clean room), process development in a scientific and research environment is desirable.
- Experience with microwave electronics, small printed circuit boards, electrical engineering design, and other electronics is preferred.
- Ability to work normal daytime work hours at the Argonne site. Occasional travel and some overtime may be required.
- Ability to work independently and without constant direction in the performance of routine tasks.
Minimum Education / Experience Requirements:
- PT3 Level: Academic background in Physics, Applied physics, Electrical engineering, or related engineering field. For Bachelors/Masters level, at least 4+ years of experience with materials synthesis, or opto-electronic laboratory environments (or equivalent). For PhD level, at least 2+ years of experience with materials synthesis, or opto-electronic laboratory environments (or equivalent). Lab management experience is preferred.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileFacilities Engineering 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.