Library and Information Management Manager
Job posting number: #7116243 (Ref:414416)
Posted: November 16, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Business Information Services division is seeking a Library and Information Management Manager to lead their Scientific Library team.
In this role you can expect to:
- Provide strategic leadership and vision for Argonne`s research library, scientific publications, document management and records management.
- Direct operations, manage personnel and financial resources of the Library and Information Management department and serve as the Scientific and Technical Information Program (STIP) manager for Argonne with DOE-Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI).
- Work collaboratively with programmatic and research staff in the review and approval of Argonne authored publications and the development and implementation of data management curation in accordance with DOE public access and open data requirements.
- Oversee collection development and operations of a wide array of research library services.
- Oversee research publishing program and laboratory-wide records management to maintain compliance with Department of Energy (DOE) requirements for records, documents and scientific and technical information (STI) management.
- Manage the organization, editing, curation and distribution of Laboratory-wide policies and procedures, promote best practices in document management and data curation.
- As the application owner for multiple library, publications, document management, records management and document collaboration platforms and systems, maintain an awareness of future trends in these areas and recommend strategic initiatives.
- As a member of the Business Information Services Division leadership team, provide input into the division’s overall strategic information technology and information management goals.
- Knowledge of concepts, principles, professional and international standards, operating practices and technology solutions employed in libraries, scientific publishing, scientific and technical information management, content and records management.
- Ability to determine future courses of action and long-range planning, evaluation of alternatives, and strategic decision making.
- Ability to provide effective and value-added services to Laboratory personnel.
- Skill in time management for multiple projects.
- Ability to collaborate and influence.
- Ability to learn and interpret Federal laws and regulations, Department of Energy orders, Argonne policies and procedures and ANSI standards pertaining to scientific publishing, document management and records retention.
- Ability to interpret Department of Energy and Argonne policy and implementing strategies that achieve compliance with requirements.
- Ability to understand the nature of work performed at Argonne, to enable effective matching of information resources to customer needs.
- Knowledge of general management and business principles and their effective application (finance, personnel, operations).
- Knowledge of principles of managing customer-centered service organizations.
- Ability to understand laboratory administrative policies and practices and financial management methods.
- Knowledge of emerging document and data set curation trends and federated search technologies.
- Effective oral and written communications.
- Ability to deal with multiple levels of professionals and management.
- Ability to negotiate solutions and influence behavior.
- Innovative problem solving.
- Ability to foster and maintain relationships externally with the library and publishing and information communities.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Suite, particularly Office365 SharePoint.
- Knowledge of scientific and engineering terminology and R&D practices and cyber security principles.
- Ability to model Argonne's core values: impact, respect, integrity, teamwork, and safety.
- PTL2: Masters in Library Information Science and 12+ years of experience in a scientific/technical or university research library or scientific publishing environment.
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract.
- 12+ years of management experience
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific or computer science discipline
Job FamilyProfessional Administrative (PA)
Job ProfileLibrary and Information Services-Technical Leader 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.