Health Physics Technician 3/Senior
Job posting number: #7116242 (Ref:414441)
Posted: November 16, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Radiological Protection division invites you to consider applying for our Health Physics Technician opening. In this role, you will provide field and laboratory support for the Radiological Protection Program. You will measure, assess, and document radiological conditions in the workplace.
In this position, you will:
- Complete required tasks without extensive supervision - critical thinking and problem solving are required
- Engage and support research scientists and engineers with considerable interpersonal skill
- Operate in a professional, single-site multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, with consistent schedule and work/life balance
- Receive continued training and instruction
- Have future opportunities to advance your career while remaining with the Argonne National Laboratory
- Comprehensive knowledge of radiation monitoring instruments and equipment including, but not limited to accelerator facilities, bench tops, glove boxes, hoods, and novel instrumentation.
- Completion of DOE mandated radiological training and on-going continuous education coursework, as specified, is a requirement for this position, required to pass after two weeks (Practice tests can be found here: http://bit.ly/2bhmF6e)
- Interpersonal and communication skills required to interact effectively and tactfully with internal customers and to successfully develop effective working relationships.
- Some experience in customer service environment is preferred.
- Ability to model Argonne's core values: impact, respect, integrity, teamwork and safety.
This role may be hired as a Health Physics Technician III or Sr. Health Physics Technician. The level will be determined by the final candidate’s level of education, experience, and skill.
- Health Physics Technician III – This level of skill is typically attained through completion of an Associate degree and with 2 or more years of related experience, or equivalent.
- Sr. Health Physics Technician - This level of skill is typically attained through completion of an Associate degree with 5 or more years of related experience, or equivalent.
This description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties, and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Job ProfileHealth Physics Tech III
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.