Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Casero Lab - Bioinformatics
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7115989 (Ref: HRC1093281)
Posted: November 13, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, David Casero, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The depth and breadth of the information generated by modern high-throughput technologies has promoted the integration of data-mining computational methods into everyday basic and clinical research. These so-called omics technologies can detect and quantify a diverse array of biomolecules and their modifications. The Casero Laboratory develops and applies computational methods for the analyses of high-throughput multi-omics data. We aim to bridge the gap between traditional approaches—where one type of omics data provides a snapshot into potential disease biomarkers—and current multi-omics efforts that can provide information into the actual drivers of disease.
The Casero Lab is particularly interested in the establishment and maintenance of normal tissue homeostasis, supported by molecular interactions between members of the tissue microenvironment (e.g., epithelial, mesenchymal and immune cells) and additional factors (e.g., signals from microbial cells). A proper understanding of these interactions is instrumental to gain insights into the etiology of some complex diseases. With the help of our collaborators, the Casero Lab is harnessing the power of multi-omics libraries to generate novel data-driven hypothesis that can pave the way into future mechanistic and translational studies.
For more information, please visit Casero Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
Are you ready to be a part of ground breaking research?
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with Dr. Casero and other Research Scientist, the Research Fellow will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. Analyzes and interpret data. May assist in the preparation of grant proposals. Participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author. Not responsible for generating grant funds.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze and integrate multi-omic (transcriptomics, epigenomics, metagenomics) sequencing datasets into quantitative models
- Interact continuously with our bench collaborators to guide and propose new experiments and use data to its full potential
- Conduct projects independently, maintains records and databases, and facilitate data access to wet-lab collaborators
- Provide mentorship and supervise the work of graduate students and provide expert opinion and guidance on data analysis and experimental design.
- Participate and present research outputs in group meetings, collaborative meetings, project retreats and seminars. Present at national and international conferences.
Doctorate (PhD) in area directly related to field of research specialization (systems biology, computational biology, bioinformatics, applied mathematics, theoretical physics, computer science).
Experience and Skills:
- Independently works on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within an area of specialization. Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research projects and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Experience in genomics and high throughput data analysis.
- Significant experience in Python, R, MatLab or other major programming languages.
- Strong mathematical background and analytical skills.
- Record of significant contributions to peer-reviewed publications.
Working Title:Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Casero Lab - Bioinformatics
Department:Home Dept - Gastroenterology
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.