Nuclear and Waste Management Waste Specialist
Job posting number: #7115934 (Ref:414415)
Posted: November 12, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This position under minimal supervision plans and assists with radioactive, hazardous, chemical, and abatement materials management, characterization, and packaging. In addition, works with onsite waste generators to ensure they remain compliant with DOE, EPA, and Laboratory policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Knowledge of DOE Orders, EPA and NRC regulations is important.
- Provide technical support to generators and projects for accurate and complete characterization of their wastes.
- Develop and/or maintain a waste and material management program that implements lab wide policies and procedures for radioactive, hazardous, special, and chemical wastes.
- Develop waste sampling plans, and interpret the analytical results to determine radiological, hazardous and Department of Transportation (DOT) classifications.
- Comprehensive training and understanding of regulations and standards applicable to waste management and transportation (e.g.; CERCLA, RCRA, TSCA, OSHA, DOE Orders, TSDF Waste Acceptance Criteria).
- Extensive knowledge of waste management processes and requirements.
- Working knowledge of radioactive and hazardous waste characterization and management.
- Excellent management and supervision skills.
- Efficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s Degree in science or engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Two-Five years of experience in the field of waste management and/or transportation.
- Experience must demonstrate technical competence in managing and shipping hazardous and radioactive waste in compliance with applicable standards and regulations including: DOE Order 435.1, CERCLA, RCRA, TSCA, DOT and in accordance with common DOE TSDF Waste Acceptance Criteria requirements.
- Able to obtain DOT shipper certification, Radiation Worker I, OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER, fissionable material handler, special materials material control and accountability, and other training as required by the facility per DOE Order 426.2 required Training Implementation Matrices.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The Waste Specialist is a technical position for waste processing and shipping.
- Assisting the waste shipper in conducting shipments to various TSDF’s (EnergySolutions, NNSS, Tradebe, Stericycle, etc.).
- Effectively and efficiently, process, package, and lab pack various types of waste streams.
- Acts as a point of contact for onsite waste generators.
- Write detailed inventory release documents to help facilitate processing operations to field personnel.
- Acts as point of contact for waste identification/characterization of planned waste.
- Identifies waste streams for segregation by waste profile.
- Ensures Waste Acceptance Criteria requirements are met for various TSDF’s.
- Ensures waste packages contain no prohibited items per waste profile and TSDF requirements.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileWaste Management 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.