Postdoctoral Appointee - Exascale Storage using DAOS
Job posting number: #7115669 (Ref:414419)
Posted: November 9, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Appointee to perform research and development on the open source DAOS storage system, in the context of the upcoming exascale platforms, and Aurora in particular. In this role you will work in Argonne's Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) performance engineering group. This Postdoctoral Appointee will strengthen future career path opportunities by applying new techniques, developing independent research capabilities and building professional skills such as communication, networking and leadership.
In this role you can expect to:
- Conduct research aligned with Argonne’s strategic missions in computation.
- Conduct work in computational science and leadership computing and promotes findings through publications, presentations, program reports, software dissemination and other means of reporting outcomes.
- Contributes to discovery and technological advances in domain science, with emphasis on the applications of exascale (and beyond) computer architectures, e.g., to address data architecture challenges and algorithm implementation challenges of high-performance simulations.
Three areas of interest for research are:
- New opportunities for applications to optimize I/O that isn't oriented around file access (DAOS provides very low latency access and the possibility allows applications to write data in a more "read-optimized" format with minimal penalty versus write-optimized formats)
- DAOS supports a prototype "active storage" interface, and exploration of some HPC type workloads (like pointer chasing, lookup tables, etc.)
- With the proliferation of CPUs and accelerators with significant dedicated high performance memory, the DAOS client should provide a mechanism to utilize device memory with direct-to-NIC memory movement bypassing CPU memory.
Additional information about Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF):
The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and computational science expertise.
- Ph.D. (typically completed within the last 0-3 years) in computer science or related field
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to model Argonne's core values: impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork
Knowledge in System Programming
Experience in parallel I/O, storage systems, or parallel file systems
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.