Project Scientist - Zhang Lab - Division of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIM)
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7114962 (Ref: HRC1064026)
Posted: October 28, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Research scientists at Cedars-Sinai continually advance a new understanding of diseases, as well as new ideas and technologies for prevention and treatment. This diligence generates a steady stream of news about their ground-breaking achievements and their benefits to healthcare.
If you're ready to be a part of breakthrough research, then we invite you to consider this exciting opportunity and apply today!
Dr. Zijun Frank Zhang is looking for a Project Scientist to join a diverse team!
Research in the Zhang laboratory uses statistical learning and deep learning as the unifying language to communicate across research areas in Computational Biology. Currently the primary research interests include:
- Automated Deep Learning (AutoDL)-powered Interpretation of Genetic Variations
- Post-transcriptional and Transcriptional Regulatory Network
The Project Scientist works independently and in cooperation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientists and performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. The incumbent may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, analyzes and interprets data, and may assist in preparation of grant proposals. This role participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author. This position is not responsible for generating grant funds.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and performs experiments.
- Keeps appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyzes the results.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Performs and leads in biomedical research projects using programming, data-mining, statistics, machine-learning, and visualization techniques to develop, evaluate, and/or apply algorithms and software for data analysis.
- Conducts computational research, supervised and unsupervised machine learning, deploying production models, and communication of scientific findings via peer-reviewed publications and scientific conferences.
- Writes clean, performant, reusable code managed on GitHub to perform repeatable analyses and to train and deploy models to multiple environments.
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Computer Science, Statistics, or related field is required.
Experience and Skills:
- Three (3) years as a post-doctoral fellow, preferred.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job functions.
Working Title:Project Scientist - Zhang Lab - Division of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIM)
Department:Artificial Intelligence in Med
Business Entity:Corporate Services
Job Specialty:Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.