Postdoctoral Associate - Degenerative Diseases
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7111134 (Ref:spd-2095895)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
We seek a highly motivated postdoctoral associate to study the role of the unfolded protein response (UPR) in AD-associated neuroprotective pathways. The candidate will use a combination of mouse genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, proteomics, and high throughout sequencing technologies to characterize molecular pathways associated with UPR genes in neurodegeneration. The candidate will test whether genetic and pharmacological targeting of UPR-components can prevent proteostatic dysfunction and restore cognitive and synaptic function in pre-clinical models of AD.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design, plan and perform independently complex experiments and procedures
• Demonstrate high level expertise in cell and molecular biology, and biochemical techniques
• Demonstrate flexibility in adapting methods and skills according to evolving project priorities
• Analyze and interpret data from different sources and draw relevant conclusions
• Demonstrate knowledge in relevant specialized disciplines
• Communicate and present results at internal and external meetings
• Document timely and accurately experiments
• Write publication quality protocols, reports and manuscripts
• Work collaboratively across lab functions and train junior lab staff as needed
Education and/or Experience:
• Ph.D. and/or M.D. with background in neuroscience, genetics, cellular and/or molecular biology.
Other Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
Mouse genetics, neuroscience, biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, proteomics.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.