Postdoctoral Appointee - Experimental Data Science and HPC
Job posting number: #7109840 (Ref:414079)
Posted: September 7, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Our Data Science and Learning Division is searching for a Postdoctoral Appointee to focus on coupling instruments and HPC for experimental data science.
In this role you can expect to:
- Research and develop advanced distributed computing, data management, and control methods to enable policy-driven automation of processes used to collect, analyze, organize, and learn from large and complex scientific data.
- Apply novel techniques to interdisciplinary problems integrating large-scale computing installations with experimental physical science systems such as the Advanced Photon Source at Argonne or other sites.
- Develop and/or contribute to Argonne software systems and applies them to computing challenges faced by experimentalist users and the broader computing community.
- Problems of interest will require experience and expertise in scalable computing, big data, machine learning, databases, and/or the relevant physical sciences.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team in computing, information technology, and research scientists.
- Guide student or junior developer work.
- Report on results of research including publishing scholarly papers in scientific journals, giving presentations at conferences, meetings, and seminars.
- Participate in the preparation of reports and proposals required by funding agencies to obtain and continue funding support.
- Recent or soon-to-be completed Ph.D. (typically within the last 0-3 years) in computer science, engineering, or a relevant physical science
- Strong knowledge of some aspects of scalable computing systems technologies
- Good verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to write research reports and publications required
- Organizational skills and attention to detail required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team required
- Considerable collaborative skills, including the ability to interact well with external collaborators preferred
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.