Postdoctoral Fellow – Dennis Lal Lab
Job posting number: #7109685 (Ref:ccf16626063)
Posted: September 2, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Postdoc and/or senior scientist position in Genomics, brief description:
Bioinformatic analyses using common and rare germline, somatic, and structural variants derived from large-scale genotyping and sequencing genetic data from our own and globally collected epilepsy patient cohorts in collaboration with international consortia and population biobanks.
The Lal research group at the Genomic Medicine Institute of the Cleveland Clinic is inviting applications for postdoc or senior scientist (>5 years postdoctoral experience) positions in genomics.
The Lal research group focuses on translational genetic research and bioinformatics. Research interests involve developing a comprehensive understanding of how alterations in the genome contribute to disease. The postholder/s will be involved in basic genomic, translational, and treatment outcome-related research, utilizing bioinformatics tools on clinical and genetic data.
Specifically, the postholder/s will be working on the computational aspect of genomic studies in epilepsy in large cohorts assembled from in-house patients of the Cleveland Clinic (one of the world-wide largest tertiary epilepsy centers), multicentre collaborations (e.g., ILAE Consortium on Complex Epilepsies, Epi25 Consortium), and several individual key players in the field of epilepsy genetics. The postholder/s will be integrated into this extensive collaboration network and will contribute to the overall epilepsy genetics research and development at the host institutions. Besides such collaborations, the postholder/s will regularly interact with two satellite Lal research groups at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the Cologne Center for Genomics in Germany. The position will be entirely computational and will not involve any wet lab work. All work will be supervised by Dr. Costin Leu, who reports directly to Dr. Dennis Lal.
Senior scientist: All points apply to both position levels. Previous postdoctoral experience is mandatory for the senior position with an improved track record corresponding to the years of active experience.
What we offer:
- The chance to have a real impact on the advancement of science and medicine. We work closely with clinicians, family foundations, and industry partners
- We offer focused mentoring and support in career development. Previous team members successfully acquired faculty and industry job positions of their choice.
- You will learn a lot from other team members who are working on a wide range of projects. Every member of our current team has several years of working experience. Our team covers diverse backgrounds, including genomics, biology, bioinformatics, software development, economics, and structural biology. In addition, we interact daily with neuroscientists, pediatric neurologists, epileptologists, computational chemists, gene therapy scientists, statisticians, and pathologists.
- Opportunities to participate in training workshops and present results at national and international conferences
- Opportunity to acquire research experience in a young team with a high track record: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=%28Dennis+Lal%29+OR+%28Costin+Leu%29&sort=date
- A good working environment in a fun team
Principal Investigator: Dennis Lal, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Genomic Medicine Institute
Lab Research Topics:
- Computational and statistical genomics
- Population-level genetics
- Translational genomics and genetics
- Whole-exome and -genome sequencing
- For more information about the lab’s research, please Dr. Costin Leu at [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Analysis of somatic and germline variants from next-generation sequencing data
- Imputation of genotyping data and subsequent analyses
- Statistical evaluation of genetic data
- Compilation of regular progress reports and manuscript writing
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Genetics, or a related discipline
- Strong publication record corresponding to the years of working experience
- Hands-on programming skills in Python, Java, C++, or bash
- Work experience in computational genomics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials: All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Dr. Costin Leu at [email protected]
- Biosketch describing the most significant contributions to science
Keywords: Postdoc, research, LRI, epilepsy, seizures, convulsions, genetic generalized epilepsy, focal epilepsy, malformation of cortical development, brain, genome-wide association, association studies, genotypes, genotyping, next-generation sequencing, whole-exome sequencing, whole-genome sequencing, imputation, epidemiology, high performance computing, Linux, programming, statistics
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.