HPC Systems Administration Specialist
Job posting number: #7107773 (Ref:413915)
Posted: August 10, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Our ALCF division within our CELS directorate is seeking two HPC Systems Administration Specialists to join the team!
In this role you will:
- Design, implement, and manage world-class ALCF supercomputers, with attendant supporting software, and infrastructure, for use by open-science researchers.
- Managing this environment will involve integrating, supporting, and documenting a diverse array of hardware and software. You should have advanced knowledge of Linux, be interested in classical HPC emerging trends and workflows, and be able to work directly with other systems administrators to ensure the continued expansion, reliability, and sustainability of ALCF systems.
- Success in this role means that you can expertly support systems in a complex environment and work efficiently with other operations groups. Researchers will rely on your guidance when it comes to the software and hardware environment so you will have a direct impact on ensuring that their research is productive.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Must be able to pass an Office of Personnel Management National Background Investigations Bureau background investigation
- Extensive Linux experience
- Experience with job-resource managers and cluster operations
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Python, PERL).
- Experience with IB and Ethernet based networks
- Experience with Puppet, Chef, Ansible or equivalent configuration management tools
- Experience with version control platforms (e.g., Git/BitBucket, SVN)
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Software packaging, building software from source, and dynamic linking (e.g., RPM or Spack)
- Software build tools (e.g., CMake, Make, or Autotools)
- HPC user workflows and licensing management
- Compute virtualization stacks (e.g., Docker or Singularity)
- Lustre parallel file systems
- Data movement (e.g., Globus)
- HPE/Cray HPC system administration
This position can be hired at one of two levels, and the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT2: Bachelor's degree and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent
- PT3: Bachelor's degree and 4+ years of experience, or a Master's degree and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.