Job posting number: #7107771 (Ref:413925)
Posted: August 11, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne National Laboratory is hiring a Communications Coordinator to support the lab’s Nuclear Technologies and National Security directorate.
We’re looking for a talented communicator who is passionate about science and technology and experienced in a range of external and internal communications functions.
In this role you will tell the stories of Argonne science through traditional and digital media, develop and execute communications plans and products, support events for laboratory staff and the public, advise and support researchers as they seek to communicate their successes, and more. Transformative science topics include nuclear energy, national security, cyber security, supercomputing, energy storage, chemistry, and high-resolution climate modeling.
You will also work closely with communicators representing other Argonne science and technology areas to tell broader science stories, spanning diverse research areas from clean energy to quantum science. As a member of the lab’s Communications and Public Affairs Division, the Communications Coordinator will be able to leverage the expertise of teams of writers, designers, video producers, photographers, media relations professionals, web and social media experts, and events coordinators.
- Reporting to the Head of Communications for Nuclear Technologies and National Security, support the implementation of an annual strategic communications plan for the directorate.
- Understand the work of the directorate, its key priorities, objectives, sponsors and partners.
- Build relationships with researchers and leaders within the directorate.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the subject matter and trends applicable to the directorate’s science and partnerships.
- Plan, coordinate and execute original communications products and publications related to the directorate’s research and operations.
- Write a variety of communications from news releases to internal memos to web copy.
- Coordinate, facilitate and get approval for access to directorate areas required for photo and video activity, and media and tour requests.
- Serve as a representative of the directorate on communications initiatives that cross other laboratory areas.
- Feed content into lab-wide channels and tracking systems.
- Ensure that communications products align with overall laboratory messaging and branding.
- Seek opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Argonne communications.
- Serve as a member of the Argonne Crisis Response team.
- Demonstrated expertise in the delivery of clear and concise communication to internal and external audiences, using traditional and digital means of delivery.
- Broad-based integrated marketing communications experience across multiple areas: events, internal communications, media relations, digital/social, proposals and branding.
- Skills to write for a variety of formats, in varying levels of formality, with strategic attention to tone.
- Experience developing compelling editorial content, and conceptualize major elements of print, video or other creative products. This includes communications skills: written, verbal, interpersonal.
- Ability to translate scientific and technical content for both basic and sophisticated audiences, focusing on the impact of the work in real-world terms.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver measurable results (increased awareness, higher client satisfaction, increased engagement, etc.).
- Client service mindset, able to take in and clarify objectives and goals of researchers and leadership.
- Strong teaming and collaboration skills.
- Deadline driven, highly responsive.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable with highly fluid situations and strong personalities.
- Able to negotiate with all levels, and build and maintain positive interpersonal relationships throughout the organization.
- Able to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
PT3 Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree and 4+ years of experience or equivalent
PT4 Requirements: Bachelor's Degree and 6+ years of experience or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Administrative (PA)
Job ProfileCommunications/Marketing 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.