Postdoctoral Scientist - Michelsen Lab - Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7106705 (Ref: HRC0623982D)
Posted: July 26, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, Kathrin Michelsen, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join her team!
Academic research comes in all different forms and places. And whether we know it or not, it affects most things that we deal with in our lives. From the technology that we use to the medicine we take. Academic research is vital to improvement and our communities.
At Cedars-Sinai our academic culture and environment creates an extraordinary opportunity for cross-disciplinary thinking and research while enjoying a larger sense of autonomy, with the freedom to choose when, and with whom, you collaborate. Our research is largely collaborative and team-work oriented, helping to unleash your potential and enjoying intellectual freedom with the ability to make an individual impact and receive recognition for your work. We are setting the benchmark for how medicine can be more effectively delivered by supporting our distinguished staff, specialists, and scientists, to advance discovery, be a mentor to the next generation, and set new standards of care.
Consider what matters most to you and join us in translating today's discoveries into tomorrow's medicine.
The Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute (IBIRI) is a multidisciplinary basic, translational and clinical research program devoted to discovering the causes of inflammatory bowel disease with the goal of improved treatment approaches and prevention. Dr. Michelsen’s lab research focuses This position will be focused on investigating immune cellular interactions, receptor signaling/function and immune responses in inflammatory bowel diseases. We are looking for Postdoctoral Scientists eager for the challenges of examining the interactions between metabolism, immunity, and infection.
To learn more about Dr. Michelsen’s research, please visit: Michelsen Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with Dr. Michelsen and other Research Scientists, the Postdoctoral Scientist will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period. A Postdoctoral Scientist may also develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, analyze and interpret data, and may assist in the preparation of grant proposals but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of immunology, autophagy and molecular biology laboratory tasks and procedures and mouse models of inflammation.
- Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
- Experienced with mice husbandry and breeding.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows in the laboratory.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization, required.
Experience and Skillset:
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Familiarity with sample preparation for flow cytometry, data acquisition on flow cytometer, and data analysis of flow cytometry data.
- Knowledge of safety standards.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Michelsen Lab - Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute
- Department: Home Dept - Gastroenterology
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.