Postdoctoral Scientist – Magnetic Resonance/Positron Emission Tomography Imaging – Gao/Sati Labs
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7106704 (Ref: HRC0372794B)
Posted: July 26, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigators, Wei Gao, PhD and Pascal Sati, PhD are looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join their research project!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Department of Neurology at Cedars-Sinia Medical Center is seeking a highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Scientist who will lead new magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET) research projects in patients with neurological conditions.
Under the co-supervision of Drs. Gao and Sati, you will have the opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary team of expert neuroscientists, neuroimagers, and neurologists to investigate the mechanisms of neurodegeneration and neuroinflammation affecting the central nervous system of patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, Parkinson’s disease, Epilepsy, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, and Multiple Sclerosis. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate closely with medical imaging industry partners (Siemens and Life Molecular Imaging). You will have access to the 3-tesla MRI scanners and simultaneous PET-MRI scanner located at Cedars-Sinai Imaging Department and Research Imaging Core. You will also have access to a comprehensive high-performance-computing infrastructure (RISCC), as well as cutting-edge deep-learning workstations and large research adult brain imaging dataset.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May submit own grant or assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds
- Designs and performs experiments
- Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation, and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator
- Will write or participate in publications and presentations as first-author or co-author
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes, and compiles data
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments
Department-Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will design and perform brain MRI and PET experiments in human research subjects with neurological disorders
- Will develop, validate, and apply machine-learning methods using existing large developmental brain imaging dataset to analyze brain MRI of human research subjects with neurological disorders
- Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation
- Will develop, adapt, and implement MRI and PET acquisitions and analysis methods
- PhD degree in Neuroscience, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field is required
Experience and Skills:
- Works independently on research projects designed by mentors within area of specialization
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during a postdoctoral appointment
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment
- Has excellent problem-solving, interpersonal, communication, self- and time-management skills, and the ability to work effectively both in a team and independently
Department-Specific Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge of safety standards of specialized equipment (PET, MRI)
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience with acquisition, processing, and analysis of structural brain MRI and PET is highly preferred
- Strong programming skills (Matlab, Python, or C/C++), statistical skills (R or STATA), and experience with HPC analysis pipelines are strongly preferred
- An advanced level of comfort and expertise using neuroimaging analysis platforms such as SPM, FreeSurfer, AFNI, or FSL are a plus
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist – Magnetic Resonance/Positron Emission Tomography Imaging – Gao/Sati Labs
- Department: Dept Chair - Neurology
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.