HPC Systems Administrator
Job posting number: #7103914 (Ref:413626)
Posted: June 22, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We have an exciting opportunity in our CELS (Computing, Environmental, Life Sciences) directorate for a System Administrator that has experience with HPC – High Performance Computing!
As a member of the CELS Systems HPC team, you will:
- Participate in the technical operation and support of the high-performance computing (HPC) facilities serving the laboratory in order to enhance the productivity of the scientific staff and their research colleagues, with technical staff and colleagues at other labs and universities.
- Assist with the coordination of similar systems at the Laboratory.
- Special emphasis of this position is to lead efforts in designing, building and maintaining the Laboratory Computing Resource Center (LCRC) systems and storage, creating technical documentation for end-users and internal use, and providing technical support to the users of the LCRC resources.
The mission of Argonne’s Computing, Environment, and Life Sciences (CELS) directorate is to enable groundbreaking scientific and technical accomplishments in areas of critical importance to the 21st century. The CELS directorate integrates Argonne’s research in the life sciences (subsurface science, terrestrial ecology, molecular biology, microbiology, protein chemistry, bioinformatics, and computational biology) with the environmental sciences (earth science, energy science, and global climate research), and the computing sciences (applied mathematics, data science, and computational science) and has established a leadership computing facility essential for advanced simulation.
- Knowledge and expertise in Linux systems administration.
- Expertise in installation, configuration, and management of large numbers of Linux-based computers.
- Knowledge of designing, installing, configuring, managing and using high-performance computing clusters.
- Expertise in installation, management and use of software such as compilers, scientific applications and job resource managers.
- Interest in working with the scientific staff and users to aid and instruct how to use the HPC resources optimally.
- At least one OS/Technology-focused certification is desired but not required, such as: Linux+, RHCSA, or RHCE.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract.
This position can be hired at one of two levels, the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT2 Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years or experience, or equivalent
- PT3 Bachelor’s Degree and 4+ years or experience, or a Master's Degree and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.