Mechanical Engineer - HVAC
Job posting number: #7103908 (Ref:413577)
Posted: June 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Responsible as a Facilities Engineer for the maintenance, modification, and construction programs for Argonne facilities and buildings with primary responsibility for the site chilled water systems. Provide technical support for scientific programs including development of engineering concepts and design solutions for facilities projects. Serve as the technical subject matter expert (SME) for the buildings and facility systems assigned.
- Gather and review data concerning facility/equipment specifications, code requirements, and construction feasibility.
- Perform condition assessment surveys of buildings, systems, and equipment to identify deficiencies and prioritize investments. Inputs data into the CAIS Condition Assessment and Infrastructure analysis system.
- Recommends technical solutions and designs. Identify and develop improvement opportunities regarding energy savings, resiliency, and maintenance.
- Review designs including equipment, installation, and other related costs.
- Coordinate with architecture/engineering firms in developing design criteria and preparing layout and detail drawings.
- Inspect construction, installation, commissioning, and operation to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules.
- Collaborate with Building Maintenance to develop safe and effective maintenance procedures.
- Develop scopes of work for installation of minor building modifications and repairs
- Maintain effective communication with building users, contractors, and other project team members.
- Knowledge and experience with building mechanical systems.
- Experience with campus-wide chilled water systems.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and construction practices.
- Skill in preparing the design documents and estimating costs of components and systems.
- Oral and written communication skills and ability to work with individuals at all levels.
- Skill in technical direction and supervision.
- Some knowledge of other engineering disciplines.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Registration as a professional engineer is desirable.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
The selected candidate can be hired at one of two levels. The requirements for each level are as follows:
- PT4 Level: Bachelor’s and 6+ years of experience, or equivalent
- PT5 Level: Bachelor’s and 10+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileFacilities Engineering 4
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.