Data Services Software Developer
Job posting number: #7102545 (Ref:413556)
Posted: June 8, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The ALCF has an exciting opportunity for a software developer to join our team. The successful candidate will aid in design and development of data service architectures and algorithms, leveraging the developed methods for scientific applications including ones that leverage complex workflows and online learning. The successful candidate will actively collaborate with computer scientists, mathematicians, and domain scientists. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to use advanced supercomputers across the Department of Energy computing facilities to design, develop, and evaluate novel data services at scale.
In this role you will:
- Deliver services/platform for scalable compute pipelines, and integration of ALCF resources into user’s research task workflow. Leverage third-party services and platform and customize for use at ALCF.
- Design and develop scalable data management solutions tailored for ALCF users, leveraging services and platforms that provide such core capabilities.
- Build on existing capabilities for value added services for ALCF users.
- Design and develop data portals and data commons for ALCF users.
- Hands-on experience with software installation, configuration, and administration in a Linux environment.
- Three or more years’ experience in information technology implementation projects and/or custom software development projects
- Experience in a customer facing role
- Experience as a solutions engineer
- Experience with a sizable, complex software development project
- Experience with high performance computing
- Experience with research software development
- Experience with cloud computing
- Experience with scientific applications
- Experience with Globus Technical Skills or Knowledge
- Knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of software development.
- Strong understanding of web application frameworks, development tools, and techniques.
- Broad familiarity with web application development and APIs.
- Familiarity with Linux command line programming and system administration.
- Strong and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to facilitate technical discussions, as well as the ability to synthesize, summarize and generate application requirements from fuzzy and incomplete information.
- Ability to analyze complex multivariate problems and use a systematic approach to ensure quick resolution, often under pressure.
- Assess data management risks and implications due to compliance with privacy and other security regulations.
This role can be hired at one of two levels and the minimum requirements for each are as follows:
- RD2: Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of experience, a Master's degree and 3+ years, or a PhD and 0+ years of experience, or equivalent
- RD3: Bachelor's degree and 8+ years of experience, a Master's degree and 5+ years, or a PhD and 4+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileSoftware Engineering 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.