Postdoctoral Associate - Cancer Cell Biology
La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7101973 (Ref:spd-1970733)
Posted: June 8, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Research in the Deshpande lab (www.thedeshpandelab.com) is centered on elucidating the underlying mechanisms that drive tumors. We are particularly interested in identifying molecular switches that can turn off abnormally activated stem-cell programs in cancer. The proposed project will involve the use of CRISPR-based genome editing tools, small molecule inhibitor screens and techniques to identify factors involved in stemness that are co-opted by cancer cells.
A Postdoctoral Associate position is available in the Deshpande lab at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute in San Diego, California, to study normal and leukemic stem cells using genomic, epigenomic and biochemical methods. The lab is interested in cancer epigenetics with a core focus on acute myeloid leukemia using mouse models (see our recent publications Chen et al., Blood 2021 PMID: 33690798, Klein et al., Nature Communications PMID: 34226546, 2021, Sinha S et al., Nature Communications 2021 PMID: 34764240). There is also a strong interest in normal hematopoietic stem cell biology. The postdoctoral candidate will have the exciting opportunity to learn a wide variety of techniques ranging from CRISPR based gene-editing to high-throughput screening and epigenomics in a friendly, supportive, and highly collaborative environment. The mentor will strongly support the transition to the next step of their career through relevant broad experimental expertise, exposure to presentation skills, and co-authorship in participating project/s.
Highly motivated candidates with a recent Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or relevant fields are encouraged to apply. Experience and expertise in cell and molecular biology (flow cytometry, cell culture, viral production and transduction, chromatin immunoprecipitation) and mouse models is highly desired, basic knowledge of data analysis using R or Python is a big plus. We are seeking collaborative individuals who are detail oriented, with excellent communication and data organization skills.
Interested candidates should submit their current CV and contact information for 3 letters of reference to Dr. Ani Deshpande ([email protected]).
- Research design and planning
- Experimentation and trouble-shooting
- Data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Data recording and compliance
- Management of collaborations
- Results summarization
- Preparation of text and figures for grants and manuscripts
- Ph.D. in a biological science
- Experience with molecular biology, cell culture, and mouse models is required
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S
- Proof of fully COVID-19 vaccination
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Experience with epigenomic techniques (such as chromatin IP), biochemical studies and computational data analysis (such as basic R or python) is a big plus but not essential.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and publish research projects
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Be responsible and have strong time management skills
- Able to analyze and resolve issues of high/moderate complexity
- Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, Prism, Snapgene
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.