POST DOC FELLOW Molecular Oncology
Job posting number: #7101121 (Ref:55747)
Posted: May 28, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
The Jaeger Lab in the Department of Molecular Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center is seeking highly motivated candidates for a Postdoctoral Fellow position. The Jaeger Lab uses sophisticated mouse models to understand interactions between cancer and the immune system to identify new opportunities for cancer immunotherapy. With cutting-edge mass spectrometry, next-generation sequencing techniques, and multiplexed imaging, the Jaeger Lab is focused on identifying and characterizing patterns of antigen presentation in the tumor microenvironment.
We have developed novel mouse strains that enable precise interrogation of protein synthesis and antigen presentation from cancer cells in vivo. Using these mouse strains, the lab will explore the fundamental relationships between gene expression, protein translation, and antigen presentation throughout tumor evolution. Insights gained from these experiments will provide a blueprint for designing novel immunotherapies including cancer vaccines, tumor targeting antibodies, and adoptive cell therapies. Research in the lab incorporates both fundamental basic science and translational cancer research. The Postdoctoral Fellow position is expected be fully engaged with all aspects of the lab including experiments, lab operations, and maintaining a healthy, collaborative, and fun lab culture.
- The Postdoctoral Fellow will perform biological research within the Department of Molecular Oncology under the guidance of Dr. Jaeger.
- Work with cutting-edge mass spectrometry, sequencing, and imaging techniques.
- Highly engaged mentorship to ensure effective training and scientific growth.
- Ample opportunity to contribute to publications.
- Position is in a new lab with high growth potential and increased responsibility over time.
- Unique access to clinical samples.
- Excited to join a collaborative group of scientists to build a dynamic research program focused on understanding the interaction between cancer and the immune system.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate experiments and lab duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and communicate clearly, verbally and in writing.
- Eager to learn techniques related to mass spectrometry, protein purification, multiplexed imaging, next-generation sequencing library preparation, and immunology.
- Willing to learn principles of antigen presentation on Major Histocompatibility Complex I and II (MHC-I and MHC-II).
- Candidates with experience in immunology techniques including flow cytometry, ELISPOT, and T-cell culture will be considered for a higher starting salary.
- Candidates with mouse experience including mouse handling, genotyping, injections, tissue dissection will be considered for a higher starting salary.
- Maintains laboratory equipment in a clean and working order, including coordinating instrument standardization documented by written report.
- Perform experiments under the supervision of Dr. Jaeger.
- Assists in maintaining mouse colony breeding and record keeping.
- Reorders stock laboratory supplies when depleted under appropriate supervision.
- Contributes to the preparation of manuscripts, grants, administrative and research compliance documents as directed by Dr. Jaeger.
- Technically responsible for the collection, organization and permanent documentation of data in physical and electronic formats as directed by Dr. Jaeger.
- Responsible for data analysis using standardized procedures and protocols and under minimal supervision.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Minimum of an M.D. or Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Proficiency in general molecular biology techniques including PCR, cloning, gel electrophoresis, western blotting, general tissue culture.
- Candidates with experience working with mice will be strongly considered.
- Candidates with experience in next generation sequencing library preparation will be strongly considered.
- Candidates with experience in immunology techniques will be strongly considered.
Interested applicants should send a single PDF file that includes a cover letter summarizing their research training and accomplishments, a personal statement of scientific interests and goals, current CV with recent publications, and contact information for three references to Dr. Alex Jaeger @ [email protected].
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.