Postdoctoral Fellow in Cancer Drug Discovery (Chemical Biology)
Job posting number: #7083969
Posted: August 26, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionThe Duckett lab is seeking to hire highly motivated postdoctoral fellows in the department of Drug Discovery at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa, Florida. There are two openings available.
The main focus of the lab is identifying novel anti-cancer targets, developing, new selective molecular probes of these targets as tools to interrogate how their altered signaling drives tumor progression, metastasis, therapy resistance and mechanisms of immune escape. Using pharmaceutical practices, we aim to optimize these new probes as potential therapeutics. The successful candidate will be involved in an exciting new project to determine the mechanism of how aberrant regulation of kinase signaling may trigger immunosuppressive myelopoieisis and T-cell dysfunction and how this may be exploited as new anti-cancer treatments.
• The position is for a Postdoctoral fellow to join an interdisciplinary team to develop new agents designed to modulate targets previously considered difficult to drug
• Opportunity to gain drug discovery experience, conduct independent research in chemical biology and develop new compounds with novel mechanism of action to interrogate oncogenic signaling pathways.
The Ideal Candidate:
Successful candidates will have a strong background in cancer biology with a keen interest in drug discovery research.
• Prior experience is required with some of the following techniques:
o mammalian cell culture.
o experience in chemical biology techniques.
o biochemistry/ enzymology.
o drug discovery cell-based assay development.
o molecular and cell biology.
o experience in vivo mouse efficacy studies.
• excellent oral and written communication skills are required while experience in the above skills is highly preferred, applicants with related skills set are encouraged to apply.
• This individual will perform investigational studies using human cell lines, primary patient derived spheriods and tumor samples.
• Designing and perform experiments independently and analyze data.
• Identify and validate targets from existing RNA seq and proteomic data sets.
• Perform experiments aimed at elucidating compound mechanism of action.
• Participate in data interpretation and crafting manuscripts for publication.
Credentials and Qualifications:
• MD or PhD in chemical biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or relevant field.
How to Apply: Please go to the Moffitt Careers site and apply to the requisition of interest.
Interested applicants should include a single PDF file by email that includes:
(i) a cover letter summarizing outlining candidate’s motivations and suitability
(ii) a summary of research accomplishments (4 pages maximum)
(iii) current CV with recent publications and contact information for three references
For questions regarding the opportunity, please contact Dr. Derek Duckett’s office via email – Melissa.Meister@Moffitt.org
You will be eligible for benefits offered to our Team Members – Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city with unique cultural attractions, low cost of living and a high quality of life. We strive for work/life balance.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission,
then we have a place for you.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. Moffitt seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.