Senior Data Visualization Analyst
Job posting number: #7101389 (Ref:413510)
Posted: June 3, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Decision and Infrastructure Sciences (DIS) Division researches, designs, and delivers scientific tools and methodologies to inform decision-making regarding the most challenging security, risk, and resilience problems. DIS experts have developed methods to understand dependencies and interdependencies within and across infrastructure systems, strengthen infrastructure security and resilience, respond to emergencies, and support nationwide efforts to adapt to climate change. As a multidisciplinary national laboratory, Argonne offers an exciting atmosphere in which to collaborate on interdisciplinary projects that focus on complex technical problems and integrated application of natural, social, and computer science practices.
DIS is seeking a Senior Data Visualization Analyst to support our growing National Preparedness Analytics mission.
In this position, you will:
- Convert raw and unstructured data into data dashboards and visualizations to support the DIS portfolio
- Develop data visualizations to support analyses and solution identification, including static data visuals (graphs, charts, presentations) as well as cloud-based data storage and visualization platforms
- Manage complex data analytics and visualization projects, including developing project plans, managing project staff, overseeing development of high-quality deliverables, and meeting deadlines
- Produce reports on community specific data (including demographics, economics, and spatial data) utilizing different data visualization techniques and platforms
- Write scripts to automate data collection and analysis using tools such as python or R
- Explain trends, patterns, and findings from analyses to project sponsors both orally and in written format (e.g., reports, briefings)
- Oversee development of custom visualization solutions (UI/UX, Database, etc.) to meet the unique needs of sponsors.
- Follow UI/UX best practices
To be considered you must have:
- Bachelor’s (degree in computer science, math, geography, information systems or a related field preferred but not required) and 8 years’ experience in data analytics and visualization (RD 3). Alternatively, Bachelor’s degree (degree in computer science, math, geography, information systems or a related field preferred but not required) and 5 years’ experience in data analytics and visualization (RD 2)
- Significant experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau (required), Power BI, Alteryx or similar
- Experience in applicable programming languages such as R, Python, or Java Script
- Strong background in statistics
- Strong project management practices and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to translate technical information into plain language
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to achieve novel and creative solutions to complex data problems
- Experience related to emergency management, infrastructure systems, resilience, and/or climate is a plus, but not required
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
The selected candidates will have professional experience in developing and maintaining databases, dashboards, and decision support tools. All candidates must pass a general background check for employment and may be required to obtain a “Q” clearance.
RD2: Bachelor's and 5+years, Master's and 3+ years, or Doctorate and 0 years
RD3: Bachelor's and 8+ years, Master's and 5+ years, or Doctorate and 4+ years.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileEmergency Mgmt Systems Analysis 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.