Postdoctoral Fellowship in Image Analysis and Data Analytics in Geology
Job posting number: #7056345 (Ref:60556)
Posted: March 6, 2019
Application Deadline: April 5, 2019
Job Description• Develop innovative techniques for extracting geological features from images of drill core.
• Prestigious Postdoctoral Fellowship on offer - kick-start your research career.
• Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation!
As the Postdoctoral Fellow, you will work for CSIRO Mineral Resources as part of the MinEx CRC (Mineral Exploration Cooperative Research Centre). As such, you will be part of an extensive group of scientists from Australian Universities and government organisations working together to improve Australia’s mineral prospectively.
As part of MinEx CRC Program 3, the National Drilling Initiative, you will be working with geoscientists on developing innovative techniques for extracting geological features from images of drill core (2D and 2.5D images). You will research methods of integrating different drill hole data sets to extract geological information for predicting mineralisation. The final product will be made available to Australian geological surveys and mineral exploration companies via a web-based data analytics platform.
More specifically you will:
• Conduct image analysis.
• Develop innovative techniques for extracting geological features from images of drill core.
• Integrate different datasets by using scientific programming skills.
• Set-up and maintain communication between geographically separated teams.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Salary: AU$82K – AU$93K + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all selection criteria can be appointed.
• A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as geology, geophysics, image analysis or computer science.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of relevant postdoctoral experience.
• Demonstrated experience in image analysis.
• Demonstrated experience in a broad range of machine learning techniques.
• Knowledge in mathematics and statistics. .
• Experience in scientific programming (e.g. Python, R).
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex research problems.
• High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including publishing in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, and presenting at national and/or international conferences
• A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For more information please view - https://jobs.csiro.au/job/Canberra%2C-ACT-Postdoctoral-Fellowship-in-Image-Analysis-and-Data-Analytics-in-Geology/542541700/?locale=en_GB
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Friday, 5th March, 2019